Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Club for Film Photographers


I feel like film photographers should have some sort of club. And when you're officially allowed to join it's like a school graduation.

"Yay! I can do it! I have something in common with these awesome photographers!"

I feel like it should imply special discounts, extra recognition, and instant friendship.

I guess that's as ridiculous as expecting to be accepted and liked by someone else because you're the same race.

Either way, I feel like I'm breaking into some sort of secret club. And I can't wait until I start feeling the perks, meeting the other members, and fully coming into my own as an honorary member.

I also feel like I need a new camera.

My bank doesn't support this cause. Neither do the other things needed that have been on the back burner. It also isn't an emergency even if I do feel like if I don't get something new I could die.

If there's anything I've learned it's that no matter the camera, it won't make your pictures any better. Too bad, because if I could buy a magical, awesome, do it all camera, I might. I might get one and then quickly discard it because I've grown to appreciate all my mistakes along the way. They're happy accidents. Maybe my start in toy photography taught me the skill (possibly seen as a flaw) of loving and accepting something that isn't perfect.

In my class I've noticed that everyone else constantly has the goal of perfection. They're angry at strange shadows, light leaks, a little bit of blur, the tiniest shade anomaly. Maybe that should be my goal because they're all much better than I am but I can't help but attach a little bit of love to the first messy couple of prints or test strips I make of a picture.

I'm still formulating ideas for what's supposed to be my first artistic photography series so I'll catch you up when I get there.

If anyone is in the San Francisco/Bay Area area and wants to volunteer as models, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment